Between 1935 and 1938, some 7,500 of the three-axle Type LG3000 trucks were produced by MBZ. Next to Henschel 33 trucks, these were the most common 4×6 three–ton, diesel-powered German trucks. From 1940 to 1943, the three-ton Type LG3000 A 4×4 was built as a medium all-terrain truck. It was joined in 1941 by the L4500 A 4×4 heavy all-terrain truck, which was rated at 4.5 tons.
The heaviest MBZ trucks were the Type L6500 4×2 trucks produced by MBZ from 1938 to 1940 and rated at 6.5 tons, with standard two-axle rear-wheel-drive. Only vehicles of the L4500 A series were built as Allied bombing and changes in strategic planning by the German high command halted production of most other Mercedes-built trucks by the end of 1943.
At the start of World War II, all privately owned vehicles with engines over 1000cc and rear-wheel drive were confiscated by the Nazis. This included all MBZ cars and trucks, which were considered “supplemental vehicles.” Most of the MBZ cabriolets became staff cars for the Nazi Party. The Wehrmacht also took Mercedes-Benz omnibuses and put them to use as troop transporters or laboratory vehicles.
This article first appeared at the Warfare History Network.