The National Interest , a print and online magazine focusing on international affairs, foreign policy, national security, domestic politics and more is searching for an individual to join our online editorial team. This position is based in Washington, D.C.
This specific position entails writing and editing articles concentrating on defense, military hardware and national security issues as well as other duties as needed.
This demanding but rewarding position requires the following skills:
- “Blogging” and writing on defense, military hardware and national security issues on a daily basis.
- Experience in journalism (1 year or more) or online writing/blogging, a background in defense and national security writing and familiarity with tools used in web production (basic HTML/Drupal, Photoshop, SEO, Google Analytics) will particularly stand out on an application.
- Knowledge of American, Chinese, Russian, European Union and various other nation and non-nation states’ military hardware, security strategies, technological trends etc.
- Successful candidates will also have the ability to write clearly, intelligently and thoughtfully, keeping in mind short deadlines.
- Other duties include copy-editing and fact checking online pieces (knowledge of Chicago Style is a plus), communicating with authors, researching potential topics for publication, art selection and formatting content for TNI’s online edition.
- A bachelor’s degree in one of the following disciplines: political science, history and/or international affairs. A master’s degree in one of the above is highly desirable.
All applications must submit the following: Cover letter, Resume/CV, and a writing sample of 500 words or more to: [email protected]
Image: Flickr/U.S. Marine Corps.