Hulu has been on something of a hot streak so far in 2020 and will try to keep the momentum up in August. And when parent company Disney announces earnings in early August, we’ll know exactly how well Hulu is doing.
- “Star Trek: The Motion Picture,” “Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan,” etc. (August 1.) In huge news for Trekkies, several “Star Trek” movies join Hulu at the start of August, including the first three featuring the Kirk/Spock crew — “The Motion Picture,” “The Wrath of Khan” and “The Search For Spock.” In addition, expect to find the “The Final Frontier,” “The Undiscovered Country,” and “Star Trek: Insurrection” on Hulu as well.
- “Top Gun” (August 1.) The long-awaited sequel to “Top Gun,” “Top Gun: Maverick,” was scheduled to be in theaters by now, but it’s been pushed back to 2021 due to coronavirus. Instead, you can catch the 1986 original on Hulu starting next month.
- “Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World” (August 1.) Director Peter Weir’s seafaring adventure from 2003, which was based on Patrick O’Brian’s Aubrey-Maturin series, starred Russell Crowe and Paul Bettany, and for some reason, it never got a sequel.
- “Up in the Air” (August 1.) Jason Reitman’s film from 2009, which starred George Clooney as a traveling corporate hatchet man whose job is to fire people, was the definitive contemporary movie about the Great Recession, and also starred Jason Bateman, Vera Farmiga and Anna Kendrick.
- “Dora and the Lost City of Gold” (August 3.) Last year’s movie about Dora the Explorer—which featured an older Dora—hits Hulu on the 3rd.
- “Slay the Dragon” (August 6.) This acclaimed documentary about election gerrymandering and the fight against it makes its Hulu debut, after a well-received film festival run.
- “Love in the Time of Corona” (August 22.) Exactly what it sounds like—a scripted limited series, developed for the cable network Freeform, about people trying to find love during social distancing.
- “The Binge” (August 28.) This parody of “The Purge” movies comes to Hulu at the end of the month, with Vince Vaughn, Skyler Gisondo and Dexter Darden among the cast.
- “Casino Royale” and “Quantum of Solace” (August 31.) These two James Bond movies, featuring Daniel Craig’s first two turns as 007, are coming to Netflix on the last day of August- and they’re coming to Hulu as well.
Stephen Silver, a technology writer for The National Interest, is a journalist, essayist and film critic, who is also a contributor to Philly Voice, Philadelphia Weekly, the Jewish Telegraphic Agency, Living Life Fearless, Backstage magazine, Broad Street Review and Splice Today. The co-founder of the Philadelphia Film Critics Circle, Stephen lives in suburban Philadelphia with his wife and two sons. Follow him on Twitter at @StephenSilver.