National Interest Jobs and Internships
[Thank you for your interest. Unfortunately, we are not hiring at this time.]
Are you a great writer and a better editor? Do you have an eye for snappy headlines and acute attention to detail? Can you name all three legs of the nuclear triad? If so, it’s your lucky day: the National Interest is looking for remote editorial interns on a rolling basis.
[We are now open to receive applications for the Summer 2023 Semester. Please submit by the end of May at the latest]
Outstanding candidates will, above all, have a strong command of the English language. Furthermore, the perfect candidate will be familiar with TNI’s work and steeped in at least some of the national-security issues with which the magazine contends—particularly the Asia-Pacific, Eurasia, Middle East, NATO, defense technology, and spending, and counterterrorism.
We are looking for someone able to work individually for approximately 20 hours a week, but who can also work as a part of a team on special projects such as symposiums.
Interns will learn about the inner workings of digital publication while being immersed in the relevant foreign policy debates and come away with a portfolio of published articles.
• Copyediting (under the auspices of Chicago, TNI house style, and common sense)
• Headline generation and photo selection
• Social-media management
• Writing for TNI’s website
• Brainstorming and executing symposiums
• Currently enrolled in a graduate program or a recent graduate (qualified undergraduates may be considered)
• Exceptional editing skills
• Sensible fact-checking instincts
• Social-media savvy (Facebook and Twitter, especially)
• Background in international relations, political science, national-security studies, regional studies, etc. (preferred)
• TNI’s editorial interns will come face to face with the intricate, volatile, vibrant world of online publishing and political commentary
• The opportunity to write for our worldwide audience of millions of readers
• A virtual seat at the Center for the National Interest’s various events
• This is an unpaid internship, but TNI can provide the necessary paperwork to get school credit
Interested applicants should send the following attachments (as a single PDF File with your last name in the title) to Mr. Carlos Roa [email protected]:
• A cover letter
• A one-page résumé
• Two writing samples, no longer than 1,000 words each
• Include an indication of your potential start date and days of availability